Salsa is a staple in Mexican cuisine, known for its vibrant flavors and versatility. While you can easily buy salsa at the store, making your own at home allows you to customize the ingredients and achieve that authentic taste. This recipe will guide you through the process of creating a classic Mexican tomato salsa from scratch, perfect for dipping, topping tacos, or enhancing your favorite dishes.
In This Recipe
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 1 small white onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional for added heat)
- Start by preparing the ingredients. Dice the tomatoes, finely chop the onion and jalapeño pepper (remove seeds for milder salsa), mince the garlic, and roughly chop the cilantro.
- In a bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, chopped onion, jalapeño pepper, minced garlic, and cilantro.
- Add the lime juice, salt, cumin powder, and chili powder (if desired) to the bowl.
- Gently toss all the ingredients together until well combined.
- Allow the salsa to sit for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed, adding more salt, lime juice, or chili powder according to your preference.
- Serve the classic Mexican tomato salsa immediately or refrigerate it for a couple of hours to enhance the flavors.
Tips for Delicious Mexican Tomato Salsa
- For a smoother texture, blend a portion of the salsa in a blender or food processor before combining it with the chunky portion.
- Adjust the heat level by adding more or fewer jalapeño peppers or incorporating hotter chili varieties like Serrano or Habanero.
- Enhance the smoky flavor by charring the tomatoes, onion, and jalapeño pepper on a grill or over an open flame before dicing them.
- Experiment with additional ingredients like diced avocado, mango, or black beans to create unique salsa variations.
Preparation Time: Approximately 20 minutes.
Servings: 4-6 servings.
- Calories: 25 kcal
- Total Fat: 0.5 g
- Total Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Sugars: 3 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Sodium: 200 mg
Please note that these values are approximate and may vary depending on the specific ingredients and quantities used in your homemade Mexican tomato salsa recipe.
Making your own classic Mexican tomato salsa allows you to savor the authentic flavors of Mexican cuisine right in your own kitchen. With fresh ingredients and a few simple steps, you can create a vibrant and flavorful salsa that adds a burst of taste to your favorite dishes.
Whether you’re hosting a gathering or simply craving some delicious salsa, this homemade recipe is sure to impress. Enjoy the rich blend of tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, and spices in every bite!
What's Your Reaction?
Mark Dubois grew up in a tiny village in the South of France where fresh ingredients, traditional recipes, and fantastic french wines are present in every house and corner. Chef Mark is specialised in Mediterranean Gastronomies, but he is more passionate about baking. Chef Mark is currently working as a hosted Chef in different restaurants around Europe.