Who doesn’t love to have the scintillating slow-cooked collard greens in olive oil? Most of us do. Even the smell of garlic and red pepper will bring a waterfall in your mouth. It is the simplest and the healthiest recipe that you can have. Imagine savouring the delicious collard greens that are slow-cooked. It will make your day and leave you wanting to make and gorge the recipe all the time. But before we dive into the delicious recipe of the slow-cooked greens in olive oil, let’s see the ingredients needed.
- ½ cup virgin olive oil and a little
- 8 thinly sliced garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (crushed)
- 2 bunches of collard greens with their ribs and stems removed and leaves torn into two pieces
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon or more apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of sugar (you can be generous)
These are the main ingredients essential for the preparation of the recipe. Now we will learn how to make the slow-cooked collard greens in olive oil.
- First, heat a saucepan with ½ cup oil over medium flame. Add garlic cloves and pepper flakes and stir it often until you feel the aroma of the garlic is brown. It takes 4 minutes maximum- that’s all.
- Next, add collard greens to the saucepan, a handful at a time. Keep stirring them each time you add the next bunch. Season the ingredients with salt and add 1 cup (0.24 l) of water. Simmer the heat and reduce it to make the mixture blend in a gentle simmer. Cover and cook by only removing the lid for occasional stir until the greens turn dark.
- Let the saucepan cool, and add vinegar and sugar to the collard greens. Finally, transfer the slow-cooked collard greens to a serving bowl, and add more oil, and if needed, a splash of vinegar. The perfectly blended, slowly-cooked collard greens in olive oil is ready for you to devour.
- You can make the collard greens complement other flavors and ingredients in two ways. You can either cook the greens for 4 to 6 hours in simmer or cook it on high flame for 2 to 3 hours. This will give you the feeling of complete satisfaction.
A plate of delicious collard green is now ready for you to eat, share, and love.