This easy one-pot lentil recipe is full of flavour, and it’s the perfect dish to cook in winter. Lentils are high in fibre, vitamins and iron. They contain high levels of molybdenum, and they are a great source of iron.
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 curry leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 250g red lentils
- 1.2 litres warm water or vegetable stock
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Place the garlic and curry leaves in a pestle and mortar, then crush until you get a paste and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and then the onions and fry for 5 to 7 minutes until softened and then add the garlic and curry leaf mixture.
- Stir well for 1 minute.
- Add the chilli powder and turmeric and stir well.
- Add the lentils and the water or the vegetable stock.
- Add the salt and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for five more minutes without the lid. Stir well.
- Mash the lentils lightly with the back of the spoon.
- Garnish with the coriander and serve with some crunchy toasts